Saturday, 30 April 2016

Adventures - Time Spent Saving Money

It was that time of year again to take on some of the monthly bills and see where I could save money (I only have the stomach for this about once per year!)

My phone 
As our American friends may not know, Canadians pay some of the highest cell phone rates in the world. Our bill, with our soon to be former provider was $130 Cdn a month (That is about $104 US). My goal was to get it under $100 (as I knew we still wanted some data).

-I called the provider of our internet and satellite - our bill would have gone up about $15 per month, not helpful.
-I called our current provider, the best they said they could do was to drop the bill by $10 a month. After 21 years, that was the best they would do (until later where they dropped it by another $10, but it was too late and not enough). 
-I called Fido, who is actually owned by our current provider, and clearly sounds like a company I should be with. We could get what we needed, including making our home phone free for a year (We are currently paying $30 Cdn for per month for it - after the year it will be $13 and include long distance which we don't currently have)  - for $93 per month. We would be saving $37 on our cells and $30 on our home, for an annual savings of $804. 

Now for the headache part. To switch phones, we have to get our phones unlocked. That cost $50 a piece and took a total of 50 minutes to get them to unlock mine because they kept trying to get me to stay (I will spare you all the details but my patience was done by the end) and 40 minutes to unlock my husband's for no real reason. I do plan on writing our almost former provider (as I type this my husband is getting his phone restored so we can switch SIM cards). We also had to pay $10 each for the new SIM cards.

The SIM Cards awaiting use
So our total cost savings - $804 plus Fido is giving us $75 after 90 days for switching (and also giving my sister that for referring us) - minus $120 for unlocking and new SIM cards means we will be up about $760 ($605 US) for the year. I think that was worth the over 5 hours it took to get all the information and get it done. 

Because I was on such a roll, I took on the house insurance and car insurance. I haven't formalized it yet as I have some more research to do, but I think I found a way save $2000 per year for the same coverage, with an excellent company. 


While the process was frustrating, I am happy with the results. Sadly it was one of the most interesting parts of my week! (Proving, I really need a life!)

4 comments:

  1. You are a brave soul....I don't think I would want to take on the cell phone and insurance at the same time!

    Cell phone contract issues and car salesmen are the ultimate evil to me ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, That is why I still has a flip phone. Our T-mobile contract ended 2 years ago...thus we currently have no contract and are able to add $ to it as needed and I dread the day my little flip, flips its last flip.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. We recently changed auto and home insurance and saved about 50 percent. Our cell service is $110, $55 per line. That's unlimited calls, text, data. Still high I think but about the best we could do.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. We recently changed auto and home insurance and saved about 50 percent. Our cell service is $110, $55 per line. That's unlimited calls, text, data. Still high I think but about the best we could do.

    C

    ReplyDelete