Tuesday, 5 April 2016

The Elimination Diet - Day 18

Thank you to everyone who stopped by yesterday and left invaluable feedback. Blogger wouldn't allow me to add follow me by email on the weekend when I set up this blog, but it seems to have sorted itself out and I have added that. It's a work in progress and I will eventually work out all the kinks.

Background:

Most of my life my gut has hurt. In fact, until I removed gluten almost 4 years ago, I didn't know it wasn't suppose to hurt. When gluten left, I felt better for several years, but slowly over time the hurt came back.

I have also had some known food sensitivities since I was a toddler and environmental allergies my whole life. Basically my immune system hates me.

The Cross Roads:

I have no idea why I picked this time, but I decided, enough was enough, it was time to figure out what was causing the pain, because it just getting worse. So I started playing with my diet. I removed oatmeal and saw modest improvements. I cut out dairy, a food I have known for 23 years I shouldn't eat much of but have a love of cheese. I drastically reduced my sugar intake and took out chocolate (a food I have eaten almost every day of my adult life).  I was starting to  think what food to take out when my husband suggested I work with a professional. I did a Google search and found a nutritionist who specialized in gastrointestinal issues. I completed questionnaires (I love surveys, the could easily be a hobby), we met and we came up with the plan.
A soy free Ramen - created by the Man

The Plan:

To removed all gluten, dairy, soy, corn, sugar, nightshades (white potato, peppers, tomatoes, eggplants), chocolate, citrus (except lemon and lime), strawberries and peaches (the fruit is because of the chemical load). This was to be done for at least 2 week. Eventually each food (except the sugar) is added back one at a time to determine what the heck is causing the pain in my gut.

FYI - Soy, corn, potato starch and sugar hid everywhere. I had thought gluten and dairy were sneaky, but then I expanded the no list and was shocked! 

To add  7-9 servings of veggies, increase nut/seed consumption, drink at least 8 glasses of water (which I did), increase exercise, take flax oil (I can't do fish oil, it upsets my stomach) and a probiotic. Track it all to determine the next step.

Sometimes happily and sometimes while having a big pity party for myself I embraced this diet for 17 days. On day 17, I had a follow up with the nutritionist.

The New Plan:
Continue this fun diet for another week, then start reintroducing food. I will start with potatoes. Eventually we will reintroduce gluten!
Increase consumption of raw garlic, raw onion, ginger, turmeric, and sprouted foods.
Get a fish supplement as I don't eat fish.
Get oil of oregano and take it.
Substitute pineapple or papaya for banana in morning smoothie.


7 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a long list on No, nos!
    Looking forward to hearing about your progress (although I just CANNOT imagine giving up chocolate!)
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that would be a difficult journey! Are you getting *ahem* enough fiber? Making sure I got *ahem* regular fiber really made a difference for me.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. This doesn't.t sound like much fun, but if you get to have no,pain, then it will be worth it. Good luck. We hope it works.

    k.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great self control, did cutting everything out help with the pain?? I recently went to the doctor about recent gut pains and, if we rule out illness, I am wondering if this would work for me.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness Kristen. You are surely working hard to get things figured out. I had no idea you had such bad tummy troubles. A happy tummy makes for a happy lady
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've passed this on to my daughter. I have always had a touchy stomach but she has IBT and a serious allergy to chocolate and some other grain things. I have done well using the wild yeast to make my bread with an einkorn wheat flour that doesn't trigger the gluten thing in me. I still make regular flour things for my husband but I try and just do the wild yeast sourdough. You're doing so well, and I'm glad it's working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've passed this on to my daughter. I have always had a touchy stomach but she has IBT and a serious allergy to chocolate and some other grain things. I have done well using the wild yeast to make my bread with an einkorn wheat flour that doesn't trigger the gluten thing in me. I still make regular flour things for my husband but I try and just do the wild yeast sourdough. You're doing so well, and I'm glad it's working for you.

    ReplyDelete