Sunday, 10 April 2016

What I Learned This Week - Car Salesmen Really Will Say Anything

Let me start by saying I am not in the market for a new car. I have had mine for over 4 years and plan on driving it until it dies (and hopefully I will have it paid off by then).

On Tuesday, there was a message at home to the call dealer, I called them back so they wouldn't harass me.

The conversation went something like this (this is an abbreviated version, but you get the gist):

Rick: I have a customer who is looking for your car. I was hoping you would bring it in for a free appraisal.

Me: Chuckling - First, I love my car. Second, it has too many kilometres and I owe too much money to deal.

Rick: You would be surprised, we can blow you away with what we will offer. What if I said we could put you in to something new for the same price you are paying now.

Me: I am going to drive my car until it dies.
The car that caused all the trouble!

Rick: I don't want to go into it, but the guy who wants your model of car, lost his wife last year. This was her dream car that she never got to own. I think he wants it for sentimental reasons.

Me: I hope you find him a car. When I am ready for a car, I will get back to you.

My husband when I told him what had happened (and we stopped laughing) - "you should have called him on his BS".

My sister when I told her - "your car is fine but who has that as their dream car."

I decided to contact the dealership (email was easiest) and this was the reply.

"I thank you for contacting our dealership to inform us of the call you received from Rick. I apologize for this experience, there is no question that this call was unacceptable and embarrassing to myself and the sales department. Rick is a new member of our sales team, he has been with us for about a month now. Rick has previous sales experience, but is new to the automotive industry. This seems out of character from what I know and have seen from him so far, but this is obviously a huge eye opener. I will be speaking him this afternoon and there will be consequences for his actions. I apologize again, customer service is a top priority for our dealership and the XXX automotive group. If I can be of any help in the future I will make sure to take extra good care of your needs. "


When I shared this with my husband, he said "so you got someone fired". This was not my intent, but his behaviour was unacceptable. I am grateful that the dealership took me seriously and dealt with it accordingly. This encounter proved a deal will say anything. 

6 comments:

  1. I will apologize in advance but that reminded me of my elderly Dad's favorite joke.

    An older man and his wife are sitting in bed, chatting before sleep and she asks. "If I died suddenly, would you remarry".

    He pauses and says "well, I would be lonely in this big house in my later years, so perhaps".

    His wife says "that's good, I want you happy. But would you let her wear my mink coat?"

    He says "well, it IS paid for and it's warm, it would be foolish to not use it.

    She says "That makes sense, but would you let her drive that dream car you bought me?"

    Her husband says "well, certainly, it's a luxury car, the miles are low and if we traded it in, we'd lose money."

    His wife replies "I agree with that, but what about my golf clubs, if I died and you remarried, would you let your new wife use my beautiful golf clubs".

    To which the husband replies "Of Course NOT, she's left-handed!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOL at LBJ's comment.

    Your story sounds a bit familiar as we frequently get those type of calls as the leases on our vehicles gets close to the end of the term. We just keep telling them maybe later:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have done the same thing...boy, it is amazing the length sales people, especially car sales people will go to in order to make a dollar!

    ...and a big LOL at LBJ's joke!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! That was definitely not acceptable!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    That it was a local situation enabled action - all the calls which pester my phone (it takes the brunt, I just don't lift the receiver) are national and without any personality whatsoever. Even a smarmy one like that bloke's! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete