Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Eating While Camping and Celebrating

I was very nervous to take my 80+ day diet on the road for camping, especially in a different country with different products (and even familiar products often have different formulas between Canada and the US). However I did well.

The food I consumed: nuts, eggs, peppers, corn chips, carrots, broccoli, beans, spinach, cold meat, cheese, sausages and hamburgers. I also had 2 popsicles as all the ice cream had gluten or soy:(

Sausages cooked on the fire - yum! 
It was all going well until the second last day when I let my defences down and ate 5 fries and a bite of chocolate with soy (ok like 3 bites). That plus too much dairy gave me a significant gut ache on the last day of traveling. Fortunately it was short lived. Unfortunately, because I tested 2 things I don't know what caused the problem.

Since getting back, I have continued to eat too much dairy. My dairy cravings are actually worse than my sugar cravings (totally weird). I am working on that and am going to try and have a few dairy free days.

I was feeling sorry for myself and this new diet on my birthday last weekend. I didn't want to go for dinner as I assumed I couldn't eat my favourite foods. I was happily surprised and ate my caesar salad (minus the croutons), lamb shank with sweet potatoes and asparagus, and the best chocolate mousse in the world. I even did a mini gluten challenge and ate 2 bites of bread. No negative effects.

I did feel a little better about my sacrifices when I did my measurements again (it has been 2 months) and I was down another inch and a half at my belly button. Bringing the total dropped there to almost 4 inches. Around my hips has just lost 2.5 inches (it is where I carry most of my bloat so if I stop eating too much dairy may see a drop there). Even better I fit into size 8 pants for the first time in forever! Nice side effect.

My food goals for this week - to test gluten. Wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. Luck!!

    You are such an inspiration K, and I am learning better behavior ?attitudes? which helped me keep my weight gain over the past week to only 3 pounds and very little bloating issues, thanks in part to cutting back on my gluten/carb intake. After I get back from my next trip I need to see how to cut back on soy.

    ReplyDelete