Tuesday, 12 July 2016

Treat Creep

I was feeling sorry for myself almost 2 weeks ago thinking my days as an ice cream eater were behind me. It wasn't because I shouldn't eat too much dairy, but because so many ice creams contain soy that I thought I was giving it up. I literally did a happy dance in the grocery store when I found one that didn't contain soy! (It was one of the few brands I hadn't Googled!)  I was desperately missing ice cream, especially since it has been so hot (low 30 C or 90 F, which is really hot for my part of the world).

I ended up buying chocolate and vanilla (I don't even really like vanilla unless it has chocolate sauce but don't worry, I had a nice jar of chocolate sauce that didn't contain any off the "no foods") and enjoyed a huge serving the first night (I made a banana split). A week and a half later and the "Treat Creep" (a term I heard on the Podcast Straight and Curly last week) has occurred. Treat creep is when something that should be an occasional treat becomes a regular part of your diet.

It has been so easy to justify having ice cream every night. "It's hot."  "My gut will feel better quickly." "There is so much I can't have, I should get to enjoy this." "I haven't had chocolate for so long."  "It tastes so good." I let the "bad voices" lead me down the wrong path for a week and a half and I have paid a price. Eating so much dairy (and I have had other sources than ice cream, like my husband's should be world famous mac and cheese with brussel sprouts and bacon) has caused bloating, a gut ache (a different one than soy, gluten or tomato, but still pain), and I have just felt exhausted all the time. Worst of all because I am having gut issues, I can't test potato, which I really would like back in my diet (but maybe I am self sabotaging for fear that I don't pass this second test).

I am done talking myself into eating too much of something I should only have a little of. I am done talking myself into eating ice cream every night. I can have it once per week and that is all. The treat creep is out! I have shown that I have the ability to control my eating and it is time I do so.

So until next weekend, sweet, sweet, ice cream!

6 comments:

  1. Oh great, the treat creep must have followed us home! So glad you get to keep ice cream! Getting rid of the effects of foods that disagree would be incentive to make good choices. Still not sure why we are starting to hear that soy is a bad thing. We've heard it several places. Maybe I need enlightened? BTW, where's the picture of that fireplace?

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had time to try and figure out this whole video thing. The fireplace has been in some shots before. I will try and add just a picture of it to the blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how easy it can be to justify things...I have let the treat creep out down here in Napa will be putting it away tomorrow...big time bloating and just overall feeling icky! Luckily, I am not a big ice cream eater anymore...but am noting that Breyer's is a soy free brand, thanks!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the issue with soy is it has been modified and it is in everything!

      Delete
  4. Soy is in everything! It's worse than corn syrup. I was just happy to find a DIY recipe for my favorite lemon Lara Bars, that's just fruit and nuts and only cost HALF what buying one costs. I'll let you know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear. I thought avoiding gluten was hard, but soy is by far worse!

      Delete