Sunday, 28 August 2016

Vanier Wrestling

Selfie with the bday girl
Last weekend was a good friend's birthday and she decided for her birthday she wanted us to go to Indie Wrestling. I am a child of the 80s, so I grew up spending my Saturday mornings watching what is now known as the WWE. I married a man who loves wrestling so have been to some WWE events in the past. I know a little something about wrestling.

I wasn't expecting much out of this wrestling. It took place in Vanier. Vanier is one of the rougher neighbourhoods in Ottawa. It is not dangerous like some other cities rough neighbourhoods but has a reputation for prostitution, drugs and just being a bit seedy.

While we were going with our friends, we (my husband, his brother and I) decided if we were going to do this, we were going to upgrade to VIP seats. We paid extra for front row seats, and so we could go early for the meet and greet with Chavo Guerrero Jr., a former WWE wrestler.  We weren't sitting with our friends but did see them over the evening.
My husband and Chavo

A Sponge Bob tattoo - one of 4 of the
band members on a 70 year old

The experience itself is rather hard to put into words. I just kept saying "who knew this was a thing?" The hall was small but clean. It sat somewhere between 400-500 hundred people I think. The fans are clearly dedicated. They all knew each other and the wrestlers. There is a lot of crowd participation. My brother-in-law and I decided that there should be a committee to approve tattoos because there were some terrible ones. I like a good tattoo but clearly some people have different ideas about good than I do. There were also some very interesting outfits. I imagine a show like "What Not To Wear" would have had a field day. It was very much a different crowd then the one I normally hang with. Not bad, not worse, just different.

The wrestling itself was actually better than we had expected. Some of it was actually very good. One of the things I liked, is that the few women wrestlers actually wrestled men in their matches. 2/3 of them could definitely hold their own! My husband had a wonderful time and got right into it. My brother-in-law and I thought it was ok (we were often distracted by the crowd) and we both found it a little long. The main show started at 8 and ended at like 11:40. Can't say we didn't get our moneys worth -it was just way past my bed time.

The event was for their 6th annual "Fighting Back - Cancer Stinks" fundraiser in honour of a member of the wrestling community who died in 2011. The night we were there they raised over $33 000, bringing their 6 year total over $117 000, which is impressive.

While it is not my thing, I can appreciate it and be glad I went. I am sure my husband will go again with our friends, and I will happily support him in that.

A few pictures of the evening:


Sometimes sitting ring side has you right in the action

The wrestler Space Monkey

Yes he has a tail

Frank - the biggest wrestler - but what is with the tattoos?

Chavo standing in our corner



My husband joining in

Men kept falling at my feet

I should have sung it is raining men




2 comments:

  1. This is something our mom has never thought of attending but maybe after a few drinks it would be very interesting! Love the narration!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, now I can't help but sing, It's raining men!!
    What a fun evening it must have been!

    ReplyDelete