Wednesday, 28 September 2016

Bonus Post - The Data Is In

Yesterday, F'in Alex did my weight and my body fat analysis.

It went something like this: First he weighed himself to make sure the scale worked (apparently it has issues),  and now I know how much he weighs. Then I got on the scale, and off the scale, and on the scale and off the scale, and on the scale and I said "Holy Sh*t."

Before I go on with this story (my attempt at building suspense), let's just go back half a step. In March I started on a path to figuring out what was causing me gut pain, and did the elimination diet. I lost close to 10 lbs with that. I started at 165 lbs, and ended around 155 lbs. I went from about 42 inches around my hips and belly button to 38 at the hips and 37 at the belly button. Weight loss was never my goal, my gut health was, the weight loss was a happy bi-product. However, it is great not to feel bloated all the time.

Fast forward to about 5 weeks ago when I went for my assessment with Alex. I stepped on the scale and weighed in at 155.9 lbs, with about 33% body fat (which by the way makes me obese). After 8 sessions (4 weeks) of strength training, I have lost another inch at my hips, half an inch at my belly button, and the number that made me say "Holy Sh*t" was 148.4 lbs. I am down 7.5 lbs . My body fat is down almost 2 %. Again, weight loss was never my goal, strength was. Yes, I am gaining strength too, but it is harder to see.

I have lost about 17 lbs this year, without really meaning to actually lose weight. I feel a little bad about this for all the people who really struggle with it. Maybe because my focus has been on other things (gut health, strength) it has been easier.

A conversation I had with F'in Alex yesterday:

FA: "Eventually you will plateau with weight loss."
Me: "I hope so, or I will be dead."
FA: "Good point."

Yes, I do hope at some point I find my ideal body weight and just maintain it.

F'in Alex and I also agreed I could have a drink a week, and I can keep my diet like it is. I didn't swear at him or call him a jerk once on Tuesday! I pointed that out to him and he said he had noticed, but it was fine if I did.

I am going to have to buy new pants, as all of mine are getting too big  (I can pull them down without taking them off) . . . Sam keeps say "first world problems."  I wonder what will be more expensive, the training or the new clothes??????





2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your accomplishment with all that hard work!!! Now go enjoy that drink.


    Woos - Ciara and Lightning

    ReplyDelete