Tuesday, 20 September 2016

The First Workout Injury

It was bound to happen sooner or later, especially with my track record of not being very coordinate. I worked with F'in Alex last Monday. As I had to move my session from Tuesday because I had a work meeting I couldn't move, we met at 7 am. This meant I was up around 4:30 to leave by 6. My body started mad at me. I told him that. I found the session really, really hard. Yes we increased the weights, but even harder than that and felt deflated after (which we have spoken about since and I got the coach pep talk - role my eyes).

I left the session grumpy but unaware I was injured. Wednesday morning around 3 am, I woke up with a terrible pain in my elbow. I assumed I slept on it and it would go away. It didn't. Thursday it was still sore. I asked my husband to look at it and he said it was swollen.

I got to the gym on Thursday. At this point of the week I wasn't motivated at all for life - I had a very rough week which I am not going to complain about (although no internet for 3 days was really, really annoying). Anyway, after the unsatisfactory work out Monday, coupled with elbow pain and a crappy week, the gym was about the last place I wanted to be.

My conversation with F'in Alex about the elbow went like this:

FA: "How are you?"
Me: "so-so"
FA: "Why?"
Me: "We hurt my elbow and it has been a crappy week."
Where it hurt
FA: thinking I was joking "What did you do?"
Me: "I am not sure what we did, but Sam (aka my husband) says it was swollen."
FA: "I will be there to check it out in a minute." He was finishing teaching a class.
A few minutes later
FA: "That reminds me I forgot to get you to sign the waiver." Yep hurting me reminded him I could sue him lol! But he did seem truly concerned about the elbow too.
FA: "Sam didn't tell me you were hurt when I saw him yesterday."
Me: "Sam didn't know, I only told him this morning because I didn't see him yesterday."
FA: After squeezing it and poking it "The tendon is inflamed. I am glad it is not in the back part of your elbow. That would be serious. This needs ice and rest. So today, we will do all legs."
Me: "Yay."

By the end of Thursday it was the worst it got. It was really, really swollen and hurt. It felt better on Friday (a little tender) but then again my butt and thighs were so sore, maybe I didn't notice a little elbow pain. By Saturday the pain was all gone. So I have survived my first workout injury.

This week officially marks week 4 of training. It is as far as I have paid for. I have to decide what to do next. I have been totally avoiding this decision, F'in Alex and I will discuss it, likely today during our training. Everyone in my life has a different idea about what I should do. I have been reading research on training to help make my decision. My problem with making this decision is that I hate everything about the gym, but I know it is good for me. I have also discovered that because of the pain it causes, my sleep (unless I take pain meds before bed) isn't as good. So I kind of feel crappy too. This is suppose to pass, but all of this isn't helping me decide.  Maybe the weigh in and the body fat measurements on Thursday will help because right now the one inch I have lost off my hips is just annoying as I am going to need all new pants (I know, first world problems).


3 comments:

  1. I can hear your turmoil! I already gave you my thoughts when we "talked" the other day so I will just wish you well in making the right decision, one that works for YOU. I hope your elbow is better (now you have a hellbow!). BTW, I really like that quote!

    NB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time my trainer worked my arms really hard and I was like T-Rex at work the next day because I couldn't take anything anyone was trying to hand me because my arms hurt so bad. But I told her, and she scaled back. You can always try another trainer. Mine really listens and makes a unique plan each week depending on what is hurting, emailing the day before to see what is strong and what isn't and adjusting my workout so I don't end up in pain from the torn up knee, and we continue to see progress. I don't think you may get that kind of personal attention at a gym. She's 50 dollars an hour and SO worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the first time my trainer worked my arms really hard and I was like T-Rex at work the next day because I couldn't take anything anyone was trying to hand me because my arms hurt so bad. But I told her, and she scaled back. You can always try another trainer. Mine really listens and makes a unique plan each week depending on what is hurting, emailing the day before to see what is strong and what isn't and adjusting my workout so I don't end up in pain from the torn up knee, and we continue to see progress. I don't think you may get that kind of personal attention at a gym. She's 50 dollars an hour and SO worth it.

    ReplyDelete