Sunday, 9 October 2016

Thanksgiving

From my office window
In Canada we are celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend. We are hosting the family dinner this year. We live in the Gatineau Hills, which is one of the most beautiful places in the world in the autumn. My sister and her family, my brother-in-law and the girl he is seeing (he doesn't like the label of girlfriend), and 2 friends will join us for the feast Sam will prepare. We will laugh and eat too much. It will be great fun.

One of our friends who is coming is facing some significant health challenges. I won't share all the details, because it is not my story to share. Let's just say it is a genetic disorder, he has no control over, and it has a sucky mortality rate. He is having a risky surgery this coming week. It isn't fair. He is only 30.

His recent challenges, have served as a reminder to me that I need to not take my health for granted.  I heard a statistic this week that 70% of all health issues are due to lifestyle factors. I am working hard to make sure that I do what I can to greatly reduce my changes of being sick. I am controlling what I can, and leaving the rest to fate.

On this Thanksgiving, I will be particularly thankful for my health and the health of most of my friends and family. I will be thankful for our medical system that will provide the best care to my friend. I am also going to be extra thankful for the time spent with friends and family.  Good friends are not like pants, they are impossible to replace.

Happy Thanksgiving.


2 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and good friends (and 2 drinks ;-)!
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving and blessings to your friend. Yes, we often give away what control we do have towards good health. Good reminder.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete