Tuesday, 18 October 2016

The Weird Knee

As I have mentioned before, in 2003 I had meniscus and fat pad removed from my right knee after a terrible studying accident. Since starting at the gym, I have had one instance where it hurt in the repaired area, but several instances where it hurt in a different place.

While we rested it, F'in Alex and I had different guesses to what was causing the pain in the back of my knee. He thought it was the step ups with weights. I hoped it was the squats. Turns out we were both wrong. It was an exercise that really didn't have anything to do with the knee and one of the few I actually liked. I sat down in front of the weight thingy (I am learning so many technical terms at the gym) to do a static row (sitting on a bench, pulling 70 lbs in a rowing motion). About 3 reps in, I felt the pain in my knee. Because I am sitting to resist being pulled forward, it is doing something to my knee. I thought about not saying anything because it was really the only exercise I like, but I did. We finished the set and then moved to another exercise. We did this because as F'in Alex said "I don't know what to do about your weird knee."

In other exciting gym news, as we move into week 8: I have moved to plank on my forearms (I started with straight arms) and can hold this for 1.5 minutes; I graduated to real squats (no more sitting on a bench for me); and I graduated to real rear lunges (no longer holding on to something). We also started balance work (I asked and while F'in Alex said it is really hard to gain balance as an adult, we can work on it). We will see what week 8 brings.


2 comments:

  1. Now you have F'n Alex AND F'n knee!!
    Keep on keepin' on K-10!!

    ...as I have said before(and will probably say again!)you are a great inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you know all the technical terms for that equipment! Sometimes those pains are a real puzzle for causation. Hope you get it sorted out. In the meantime, tell F'ing Alex hey!

    NB

    ReplyDelete