Tuesday, 7 February 2017

Cold Hands . . .

I would like to end that with warm heart, but instead I will end it with means you might have Raynaud's disease. Last Thursday, I was diagnosed with Raynaud's. For those who may not have heard of it as described by the Mayo Clinic is a "disease causes some areas of your body — such as your fingers and toes — to feel numb and cold in response to cold temperatures or stress. In Raynaud's disease, smaller arteries that supply blood to your skin narrow, limiting blood circulation to affected areas (vasospasm)".

You can see the white finger tip on my index finger
This winter, I started to get numbness in my fingers/hands while driving. A couple weeks ago, it was so bad when I got home for about 30 minutes I couldn't really use my right hand. It felt asleep and was white with blue fingernails. I was suspicious it was Raynaud's as I have a friend who was diagnosed within the last year or so.

The treatment is rather simple unless it gets very severe - keep my hands warm by wearing great gloves and maybe getting a steering wheel heater. There are medicines I could take if it gets really bad, but I would prefer not to go that route unless it becomes very serious. My $100 gloves are in the mail! A coworker who I didn't know had it, recommended this brand. We will see if they work. She said they were expensive, but it is a small price to pay to prevent disfigured fingers. That is what can happen if it is not treated. 


I did ask my doctor if training could be to blame for this. She said unless he had me lifting crazy weights, like over 100 lbs, no. Darn! I did read that to protect my hands during training I should make sure they are warm. 

My symptoms had only been in my hands until I had to ice my sprained ankle on the weekend and then they started in my foot. So icing is out.

It feels a little frustrating that I am doing all of this awesome stuff to be the healthiest me ever and I am diagnosed with a disease. My doctor said these things happen, so I will try not to be frustrated and keep going. 

3 comments:

  1. We wonder what kind of gloves they might be? Your doctor is probably wrong, we are quite sure it is caused by working our regularly at the gym lol! Seriously, sorry to hear this but glad you are treating quickly!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the granddaughters has Raynaud's as does her father. She is one of the twins. When she was born, she had to stay under the warming light as she wasn't maintaining her body temperature initially. Now they just have to be very careful if she plays outside in the cold, feet and hands in particular.

    We too would love to know what kind of gloves they are. Mom would pay any amount for a pair of gloves that would keep her hands warm when she is walking us in the winter. And something for the feet too:)

    Woos - Lightning and Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't good news but I am thankful it can be managed for the most part.

    ReplyDelete